Maybe you have been an avid traveler for most of your life and have spent the night in just about every well-known hotel establishment in the world. But, now you yearn for that out-of-the-ordinary hotel stay that will take you to an entirely new level of travel enjoyment. Or perhaps your business responsibilities take you around the globe, from country to country, with barely the time for a decent meal much less an exotic adventure. This article is for you. Here are five of the most extraordinary hotels in the world, where you can indulge your senses and be sure to satisfy your desires for the luxurious and unusual.
1. In the Thar Desert of India sits imagination come to life. The Mihir Garh is an intimate, 9-suite hotel that will make you feel as if you are in a dream state. Over the course of two years, 150 artisans, builders and craftsmen brought to life a resort dwelling unlike any other in the world. Nothing was spared in order to bring the highest standard of luxury and sensual pleasure to the hotel guests. Set into the desert landscape, the hotel is designed to blend in and resemble the huts of the local tribe—the Bishnoi—complete with peacocks and acacia trees.
2. If you are looking to spend a few nights outdoors, but do not want to risk the elements, then look no further than the Juvet Hotel in Valldal, Norway. Seven, glass-block hotel suites, with unobstructed, panoramic views will make you feel as if you are living in the forest. The hotel suites are built on stilts and nestled deep into the pine and birch forest, with the Valldola River rushing by, to give you the most incredible experience of simplicity, nature and luxury.
3. The heydays of the Sala Silvermine in Sweden are long since gone, but you can book a stay in what is now an underground guest suite and experience the mining life in much more comfort. Once an active mine producing silver and lead, the Sala Silvermine guest suite is 155 meters underground. The hallways are a bit dark and damp, but the suite is amply lit and warm, and decorated to remind you of the era during which Sala Silvermine was operating at full capacity. A stay here is sure to be a memorable experience.
4. Book a stay at the Prendiparte B&B in Bologna, Italy, and you will be sleeping 60 meters high in a 900 year old tower, all to yourself! The Prendiparte was originally constructed as a medieval fortress for the Prendiparte family and during the 1700s served as a religious prison. You can still see the former jail and read the graffiti left by its prisoners or climb up to the rooftop terrace for the most spectacular view of the city of Bologna.
5. If you are at all a fan of the old railways, then a stay at the Featherbed Railroad B&B may be the spot for you. Nine antique cabooses have been renovated and historically decorated to carry you on a trip down memory lane, such as a Las Vegas bordello, or the Orient Express or Easy Rider. Located in northern California, USA, the Featherbed Railroad B&B is in a quiet pastoral setting, on the shores of Clearlake, perfect for resting and reminiscing about the good old days of the wild, wild west.